January 30, 2014

How to... brew a potion!


Welcome to my little potion making masterclass. 

To whip up something that resembles the content of that little bottle (photo below, 3rd one clockwise) you will need the following:

* 1 cauldron (medium size will do just fine)
* 1 mortar (not the white porcelain one, this is not medicine making, it's potion making - focus people!)
* a few ingredients (pictures provided so you know what is what and not end up with something like shown above)

And no, that's not the outcome we're going for even though you might find it pretty!

In order of appearance we have (clockwise from the top):


/1/ poisonous flowers that grow on the North side of the tree in the South East area of your nearest forest (don't look astonished now - these instructions are perfectly clear!); /2/ (these are not little pebbles, no!) dried bat's liver immersed in concoction of spices (which you don't need to know) and crushed into grains, not powder; /3/ flowers of dried thyme (not the stems!); /4/ (the bottle on the left is what you need to look at) roasted and finely chopped sunflower seeds


Once you got all the ingredients and tools on your working surface you need to do the following:

/1/   preheat your cauldron 
/2/  in your mortar put 3 pinches of poisonous flowers and 1 flat teaspoon of dried bat's liver and crush into fine powder
/3/   once your cauldron is nice and hot add 3 thyme flowers
/4/   after exactly 37 seconds add the content of the mortar into the cauldron
/5/   lower the heat
/6/   stir 5 times counter clockwise
/7/   add sunflower seeds (entire bottle of it) into your cauldron
/8/  let everything simmer for 11 minutes and 6 seconds 
/9/  pour the contents of the cauldron into a tall glass tube


And you're done! If the liquid looks orange/brown-ish and your cauldron didn't explode at any time during the process you did everything right. 

You have successfully brewed a sleeping potion.


I don't know from what part of my brain did I manage to pull out all of these nonsense, to be quite honest, but I guess that being a member of Pottermore, and having a history of watching this kind of fiction shows while growing up was inspiring enough to come up with this.

The idea behind this post is introducing my upcoming RECIPE posts.

I started cooking some time last year out of  whim. I saw all those pretty muffins on Instagram and I loved eating them but I always bought them from bakeries. I was thinking one night how hard can it really be? It's just mixing things and adding and baking... I was out that night buying something random and I was passing this shop that has kitchen supplies and decided to go in and buy myself a muffin mold. The rest is history (don't let this cliche line fool you - I'm not all that great when it comes to cooking, but I'm trying and learning bit by bit). Since then I moved house and am now living all by myself. More about that in some other post, but the point is I had to expand my cooking menu and that's kind of how I got the idea of posting recipes here. All recipes will be in detail and with photos and hopefully you'll like them.

And this little charade I did up there - there is a story behind it. I was in this craft/hobby store a week ago and I stumbled upon these little cork glass bottles which I liked a lot so I bought them (even though I didn't know what will I use them for, but they were too pretty to leave them there). They were standing on my desk for days in order to inspire me to give them a purpose and yesterday the idea came to mind when I saw a trailer for Charmed (TV show I used to watch when it first appeared years ago). I snapped a few photos and came up with the text today, now, out of the blue.



This mess is what I ended up with when it was time to clean up and wash the bottles. I used chamomile tea and apple and cinnamon one and took it out of those little paper baggies, and filled the bottles. In some I added water along with the tea. And the last one - with tainted glass contains just water. I also had some thyme my mum brought when she was cooking something, and those purple flowers are from this Christmas piece I had home.

I hope you liked this little post and that you'll come back to see those recipes I mentioned I'll post in the future :).

Heart, 

nena.

2 comments:

Adna said...

Ti bi se odlično snašla u srednjem vijeku. :D

Alina said...

wonderful post!
Kisses, Alina

Project Germany

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments I love reading them! :)
heart,

nena.